Upcoming Dates and Deadlines
- midnight, Monday, June 27th, prices increase for ACURA Toronto 10 miler & 5K. Enter NOW!
- midnight June 27th. Next price increase for OASIS ZooRun 10K, 5K & Cubrun. Enter NOW!
- Just Started! Official Clinics for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
at 40+ Running Room locations across Ontario & Quebec. Join 1,000s in RRs world-famous Clinics, to prepare for the
“National Feature Fall Marathon”
- July 24th. STWM Tune Up Training Run #2: “The Beaches Jazz”. Now SOLD OUT! Event details, for those already
- midnight July 31st. Next price increase for Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, Half & 5K.
- “Scotiabank Group Charity Challenge” 2011 at Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon is now LIVE! Which charity
are you running for? Check out our 3 “Featured Charities” for 2011 (Geneva Centre for Autism; Matthew House for
Refugees; Muki Baum Treatment Centres), and the first of our record 131, mostly-local charities. Goal $2.75 million! Let's
start TODAY! http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/charity.htm
- WIN a $25 Running Room Gift Certificate!
Final draw to be made on Tuesday 28th June at 12 noon, from everyone entered in Acura Toronto 10 miler & 5K,
up until that time. Not entered yet? There's still time!
- Check out the super Finishers' MEDALS and tech T-shirts for this year's ACURA Toronto 10 miler & 5k.
- ACURA neoprene armband “gift” to all entrants in Acura Toronto 10 miler & 5K!
Enter today to claim your extra swag!
- Exciting NEWS! CRS Foundation Launched, with “Show Us Your Toonies & Cinquos” campaign for 2011!
New not-for-profit Foundation of Canada Running Series set up with independent Board to build fundraising around 2 goals:
to support grass-roots, community-based fitness/running/healthy-lifestyle programs [especially amongst kids]; and to
support and encourage the pursuit of excellence in Canadian Distance Running, to support developing Canadian heroes and role
models. PLEASE help us give back to the community — next time you register for any CRS event, ADD a toonie or a cinquo [$5],
and together we'll make a difference! Read more »
- NEW for CRS2011. iTab MEDAL ENGRAVING feature, from ALWAYS ADVANCING, for all of you who want your
CRS2011 Finishers' Medals professionally and personally ENGRAVED! You can either select the option during registration or
if you have already registered, and want to add the option, simply go to: http://tiny.cc/m28v9.
Pre-order your engraved ACURA 10 miler medal TODAY at
Spring's OVER! Onto SVHM, Acura, Zoo and STWM!
A couple of days back in the office and I've almost forgotten my 2.5 week, amazing trip to Ecuador! But what an
amazing experience it was – both at the ALCAR Conference with Race Directors from all over Latin America and the Ultimas
Noticias 15K in Quito; then a remarkable week's vacation in the Galapagos Islands. As I wrote to Charlotte, it was a cross
between Jurassic Park and boot-camp! If you have a moment, please check out my
and the links to some of the photos and
videos. As we start to look to Toronto 2015, we will build more ties with our friends and fellow-runners from Latin America –
and we can certainly learn a thing or two from them about race organization and race “experience”.
And while I was on the Equator, many of you have been crossing another “great divide”, from Spring into the Summer/Fall
season. STWM Launch Night on June 6th was a HUGE success with Alex Hutchinson, Reid Coolsaet, Matt Loiselle and our other
Experts on the Panel. That has nicely led into world-famous Running Room Clinics beginning EVERYWHERE for STWM. Along the
way, there's Beaches Jazz Tune Up Training Run, Acura Toronto 10 miler & 5K and OASIS ZooRun. While we've only just crossed
into the first day of summer, don't delay! Beaches Jazz has already Sold Out; and the next price increases for Acura and
Oasis ZooRun events are this Monday at midnight. STWM follows shortly after with the next increase July 31st. Don't delay!
This year's Acura 10 miler & 5K are particularly rich in rewards, starting to rival Harry's Spring Run Off for great swag!
MP3 player armbands for everyone, Running Room Gift Certificate draw prizes, great-looking medals and tech tees.
No sooner have I caught my breath, coming down from Quito at 2,850m altitude, than I'm dashing off to Vancouver for Scotia
Vancouver Half this weekend, where we have record numbers registered, and a great Canadian elite race. Remember Kip Kangogo
battling Reid Coolsaet and Eric Gillis in the Sporting Life Toronto 10K on May 1st? On Sunday, Kip will need to battle Dylan
Wykes [with his 62:14 from the NYC Half in March], and Matt Loiselle and Rejean Chaisson from the Brooks Canada Marathon
Project, Speed River's Rob Watson, and Montreal's Bagdad Rachem. Last year's women's champ Lisa Harvey [Calgary] and 2010
CRS Champ Josiane Aboungono [Toronto] will likewise have their hands full with major challenges from BCs Natasha Wodak,
Toronto's Jane Cullis, and Newfoundland's Kate Vaughan. Truly a coast-to-coast CRS race! I'm also anticipating a FABULOUS
contest between Vancouver's Kevin O'Connor and Ottawa's Rich Minichiello for the Men's Masters title. It will be super to see
Marilyn Arsenault back on the roads after her serious illness last Fall, going after the Women's Masters crown, being chased
not just by Lisa Harvey but by our own CRS webmaster, Teresa Nightingale from Halfmoon Bay! I'm looking forward to seeing
many of our BC friends, and a bunch of YOU up at the Expo with Coach Jenny on Friday & Saturday, or up at the Start line
at UBC on Sunday morning. We still have a few places left for you to sign up at the Expo if you're not “in” already.
As usual, I'll be tweeting updates over the weekend, and splits from the Lead ACURA Vehicle. Keep in touch, fellow peeps
and tweeps! Gotta run,
Alan [aka www.twitter.com/alnbrookes]
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter for all the "Just in . . . breaking news!"
- CRS with Sabrina Young - Focus on 'your running life', training tips, race info and more ... How was your run today? - http://www.twitter.com/RunCRS
- CRS/STWM Race Director Alan Brookes for breaking news and “at the races” focus - http://www.twitter.com/alnbrookes - Hashtags #ACURA10 #SVHM #ZooRun and #STWM to connect on upcoming races
ALSO, Bookmark Alan’s NEW Toronto Waterfront Marathon & CRS BLOG for more in-depth daily news and commentary, race reports from across Canada and around the world, athlete announcements and stories, inside issues “at the races” and more. http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/blog/
Share your favourite Canada Running Series videos with your friends. And see feature videos from our runs - http://www.youtube.com/CanadaRunningSeries
CANADA RUNNING SERIES 2011 Calendar
Register now for all your favourite Canada Running Series runs!
Other Recommended non-CRS Runs
- 6:30pm Tuesday, June 28th. Tim Horton's Peachbud 10k and Cold Stone 5k & 1k.
Nice evening out to Niagara Peninsula; excellent, well-organized event!
- 10am Saturday, July 2nd. Pride and Remembrance Run. “The race with the best post-race food!”
- Wondering what happened to the Night Crawler Race? It's been renamed, relocated, re-routed, upgraded!
Dawn at the Don Run 8k & 5k. Sunday, July 17, 8am + at Wilket Creek Park.