Upcoming Dates and Deadlines
- Friday & Saturday, October 14th & 15th. STWM EXPO. Exhibit Hall D, Direct Energy Centre. Canada’s #1 running show. Come see all the latest and greatest, great deals, speakers and more … http://www.marathonexpo.com/stwm/
- EXPO “Speakers Series 2011” presented by Canadian Running magazine. Check out this year’s outstanding program with Canadian Marathon Legends Peter Butler, Dave Edge, Mike Dyon & Peter Fonseca; John Stanton; Fauja Singh; Ed Whitlock; Alex Hutchinson; Ron O’Hare. http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/expospeakers.htm
- Visit the SKI, SNOWBOARD & TRAVEL Show at Exhibition Place while you are at STWM Expo! It’s only a few steps down Princess Boulevard. http://www.torontoskishow.ca/ WIN one of 200 tickets to SS&T Show while you’re at the STWM EXPO!
- Dr. DRAW confirmed to headline post-race Victory Party in Arnell Plaza! Electrifying, pulsating, Toronto’s own cardiac re-energizer! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h8zScx2kF4
- October 21, 22, 23rd. Beach Studio Tour. 23 artists, 13 studios, a wonderful weekend in Toronto’s Beach neighbourhood. http://www.beachstudiotour.ca/ THANKS to the BST for moving their long-standing, traditional date to accommodate STWM. Please support them in return, for their kind support of us!
- BIG News! STWM confirms “live” CBC television and internet broadcasts for October 16th, PLUS 1-hour highlights show to be aired on full, national CBC network later the same day. Commentator: Scott Russell; Colour Commentary from Eurosport’s Tim Hutchings. Details http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/news/2011_09_30.htm
- Calling all STWM SPECTATORS… check out the NEIGHBOURHOOD CHALLENGE and help your favourite Waterfront neighbourhood win for a local charity. Gr8 cheering & entertainment sites from: Swansea to St. Lawrence to GreekTown to The Beach! http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/nc.htm
- ROAD CLOSURE information. Listen to NEWS1010 radio, throughout STWM weekend for all your TRAFFIC updates. We’ll be sponsoring every Traffic Report on Friday & Saturday, as well as Race Day, October 16th. Every 15 minutes “on the 15s” to give you the latest on STWM Road Closures and re-openings.
New changes for STWM 2011
STWM11 Course Maps http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/details.htm#course
IMPORTANT: our Flat, fast, festive STWM Course is essentially unchanged from last year BUT we have had to make a few important tweaks to accommodate construction in the city – at Nathan Phillips Square & on Front Street . The Course has been expertly re-measured and Certified by the IAAF, making it eligible for Boston Qualifiers, and also for national and world records, and Olympic qualifying.
NEW Start Line for Marathon & Half (minor tweak). Now on University at QUEEN at 9am (2 short blocks North of last year’s Start). Faster downhill Start?
NEW Waterfront 5K Start Line on Newfoundland Drive at 12 noon, just south of DEC at Exhibition Place (formation area in Parking Lot #1, opposite DEC, Expo site. 50m difference from last year).
NEW Start times: Marathon & Half at 9am; Waterfront 5K at 12 NOON.
NEW Finish line (all 3 events), still on Bay Street but at Bay & King (~500m south of last year; still in heart of our Official Hotels, AND you don’t have to do that last 600m up the slope of Bay Street anymore! Faster?). Shute exit at Bay & Temperance, just below Queen, allowing for easier hotels access).
NEW post-race PARTY area in ARNELL Plaza – a great space, just East of Bay, between Adelaide and ScotiaPlaza – some activities will also be at Scotia Plaza.
Extra small loop at The Distillery: Front eastbound, south on Trinity to Distillery gates, west on Mill, south on Parliament to resume regular Course on Lake Shore (to make up the full distance of the more-southerly Finish Line on Bay).
WELLINGTON St. substitution for Front Street (affects Marathon & Half outbound; just Marathon on way back). This means at the 42k & 21k Start you go South on University but then east on Wellington instead of Front – as it’s all dug up! When you get to the Flatiron Building at Wellington & Church you do the minor dog-leg to your right to proceed east on the south side of Front St. thru St.Lawrence Market. Half marathoners come home on Lakeshore & straight up Bay to the Finish at King – unaffected. Marathoners will come home on Eastern Avenue & Front as usual, but then dog-leg to the right at the Flatiron, onto Wellington, west to Bay, a quick right and you have just 150m to the Finish Line at King. We will have the signs out as always: 500m to go; 400m to go; 300m to go; 200m to go; and 100m to go. Its ~ 500m from the Flatiron!
- Leslie Street South substituted for Lakeshore east of Coxwell (42k only). Some more good news. We’ve eliminated the nasty out-and-back bit on Lakeshore from Coxwell to Northern Dancer with the tight U-turn; and replaced it with a bit on Leslie St. south from Commissioners, out-and-back to Unwin, where the road is much wider allowing for a wider, easier arc on the 360. Then it’s back up Leslie, east on Lakeshore, then north straight up Coxwell to Eastern/Front/Queen and The Beach.
- GELS on Course for 42k & 21k participants: thanks to ClifBar, CLIF SHOT® Energy Gel stations will be located at the 16.5k (Ontario Place - inbound) and 27k (500 Commissioners St.) Water stations http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/details.htm#gels
- Waterfront 5K: first 2 kms are now on Lakeshore Boulevard instead of through the Exhibition Grounds to accommodate the SKI, Snowboard & Travel Show. http://www.torontoskishow.ca/ (South from Start Line on Newfoundland Drive, opp. DEC, west on Lakeshore to U-turn at Nunavut, then chase Half marathoners back east on Lakeshore to Bay, up Bay to the Finish).
- AWARDS Ceremonies will now be short and sweet, right at the Finish line for Top 3 Men & Women and Top Canadians to be caught on “live” CBC TV. This will leave the Main Stage in ARNELL Plaza free for non-stop Victory Celebrations with Dr.DRAW and other outstanding performers.
- MORE ?????s See EVENT Info http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/details.htm
- See FAQs. Most of the answers are already there and available: http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/faq/faqclosures.htm
The final countdown, 11 days to M-Day!
This is going to have to be more than SHORT and sweet this week! It’s life on the run, BIG time!
Good luck with the final taper for STWM wherever you are. We’re almost there. The Mayor has Proclaimed next week “Marathon Week in Toronto”; the Marathon Flame returns to STWM and this year’s Torch Relay will travel 12km from Kew Gardens to Exhibition Place to open the Expo and Race Weekend; Mihira Lakshman has done a masterful job of putting together the “Expo Speakers Series”; John Stanton is already loosening up for the RR International Friendship Run, and we’re ALMOST sold out! Just 160 places left in the Marathon and that’s it!!
Keep in touch daily, fellow peeps and tweeps!
Alan [aka www.twitter.com/alnbrookes]
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter for all the "Just in . . . breaking news!"
- CRS with Sabrina Young - Focus on 'your running life', training tips, race info and more ... How was your run today? - http://www.twitter.com/RunCRS
- CRS/STWM Race Director Alan Brookes for breaking news and “at the races” focus. Hashtags #ZooRun and #STWM to connect on upcoming races - http://www.twitter.com/alnbrookes
ALSO, Bookmark Alan’s NEW Toronto Waterfront Marathon & CRS BLOG for more in-depth daily news and commentary, race reports from across Canada and around the world, athlete announcements and stories, inside issues “at the races” and more. http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/blog/
Share your favourite Canada Running Series videos with your friends. And see feature videos from our runs - http://www.youtube.com/CanadaRunningSeries