Run Information 2014
- Run Day Schedule 2014
- Packet Pickup
- Getting There & Parking
- Baggage Check
- Start Line
- Course Descriptions & Maps
- Course Restrictions
- Kids Run
- Finish Line
- Post-race Party Site
- Charity Info
- Water Stations
- Medical Information
- Entertainment & Cheering Sections
- "I ♥ High Park" Pancake Breakfast
- Souvenir Shirt
- Finisher Medal & iTab
- Spring Run-Off History
- Tips on how to run the Spring Run-Off 8k
- Environmental Responsibility
- Race Etiquette
Run Day Schedule 2014
|8:30am||Baggage Check opens|
|8:30–9:45am||8k Packet Pickup and Bib Pickup|
|10:00am||Harry's Spring Run-Off 8k start|
|10:05–11:00am||5k Packet Pickup and Bib Pickup|
|10:45am–12:30pm||"I ♥ High Park" Pancake Breakfast|
|11:15am||Harry's Spring Run-Off 5k run/walk start|
|11:45am||Kids Run 800m|
|11:50am||8k & 5k Awards and Fundraising Ceremony|
Best Dressed Runner
Remember to come dressed in your best for Harry's Spring Run-Off — we will be selecting one lucky best dressed runner to win a $100 gift card to use at Harry Rosen.
Packet Pickup will be held at the Runner's Shop
180 Bloor St West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 2V6
IMPORTANT! BIB NUMBER and CORRAL COLOUR will be provided to you in our last minute information e-mail on Wednesday, April 2, 2014 at 12pm EST. Please bring a printout of your last minute information e-mail with your bib number OR original registration email confirmation AND/OR a piece of photo ID to packet pickup. A friend or family member can pick up your packet provided they have your email confirmation OR a permission letter.
Thursday April 3 and Friday April 4
180 Bloor St West, Toronto Ontario, M5S 2V6
Mylaps BIBTAG Timing system used at Harry's Spring Run Off 8k & 5k
Harry's Spring Run Off 8k & 5k will use the Mylaps BIBTAG Timing system. This means you only have to pick up your BIB at packet pickup/registration; this timing chip is embedded in your bib number. On race day, you should wear your bib #/BIBTAG on the front of your shirt or jacket. For optimum performance DO NOT bend, fold or mutilate your bibtag! And remember, now it's "NO BIB = NO TIME!"
To read more about the latest technology coming to Canada with the Mylaps BIBTAG and Sportstats Timing company, click here.
BibTag Instructions — PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Your timing chip or "bibTag" is placed on the back of your race bib. It must be correctly worn for your race time to be accurately captured.
- Do not remove the "bibTag" or foam spacer from your bib.
- Do not fold your bib or excessively bend or twist the "bibTag".
- Wear your bib on your chest/abdomen. Do not wear on your back, side, leg or arm.
Getting There & Parking
Please note that parking is NOT available within High Park on race day and the park will be closed to vehicles from 5:30am–2:00pm. We strongly encourage you use the TTC to get to the park on race day.
We strongly encourage participants to travel to the event using public transit. The High Park subway station is within 200m of the finish line. Visit the TTC website for more information: www3.ttc.ca and check out their Trip Planner at www.ttc.ca/Trip_planner/.
LIMITED parking is available on the streets outside the park and will be enforced on race day — be sure to obey all parking signs.
For a list of Green P parking lots in the area, visit http://parking.greenp.com.
Don't have access to a ride or public transport? Have extra space in your vehicle? Want to save some $ on parking fees? Then consider using PickupPal and help reduce your carbon footprint! It's free and exclusive to all CRS events. You can EITHER ask for or offer a ride.
Location of Baggage Check on race day:
- 8k Baggage will be divided into 4 – 10x20 sections just south of the Black Oak Café on West Rd
- 5k Baggage will be divided into 3 – 10x20 sections just south of the Black Oak Café on West Rd
Here are the rules for HSRO baggage check:
- Use your Harry's Spring Run-Off Race Kit Bag you receive at packet pickup as your Baggage bag!
- If you pickup your packet on race day and can't use the packet pickup bag we give you, you can check-in a knapsack or smaller.
- Pickup one of our luggage tags at packet pickup during race week or at baggage check on race day. You will need to attach the luggage tag to your bag and write your bib# on the tag prior to checking it in.
- We strongly recommend that you leave your valuables at home! The Harry's Spring Run Off is not responsible for lost or stolen property, including any and all property checked at the baggage check-in.
- Donate what you can to the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation! Volunteers from PMCF will be at baggage check with donation bins to collect any donations you would like to contribute towards their fundraising goal of over $500,000 this year!
8k Start line location — On Colborne Lodge Drive, just north of the tennis courts and swimming pools
5k Start line location — On West Road, north of the Grenadier Restaurant. 5k participants, please stay off the course/road while the 8k race is underway. The course marshals will inform you when it is time to enter the start corrals.
8k and 5k participants will be organized in coloured corrals at the start line based on expected finishing time.
Elite Athletes: Will start at the front of the corrals, as Open & Masters prizing will be awarded based on the official gun time. The official times will be recorded from the start of the race, indicated by the air horn, to the point where the participant crosses the finish line. Elite athlete information can be found here.
Competitive Age Category Runners: Age category prizing will be awarded based on chip time, the time from when the participant crosses the start line to the point where the participant crosses the finish line.
8k Corral Times
5k Corral Times
|< 39 minutes||< 26 minutes|
|40-44 minutes||27-30 minutes|
|45-49 minutes||31-37 minutes|
|50-59 minutes||38-59 minutes|
|+1:00 hour||+1:00 hour|
On race morning you will look for the flag with the colour that corresponds to the stripe on your bib.
If a corral change is required, please email before March 10, 2014 or visit the HELP DESK at packet pickup.
Course Descriptions & Maps
8k Course (10:00am)
An 8k loop over the scenic, traffic-free, paved roads of High Park. Starts on Colborne Lodge Drive, between the Schoolhouse and the Grenadier Café.
5k Course (11:15am—Walk or Run)
Starts on West Road, curves around Grenadier Café, north on Colborne Lodge Dr., west on West road, moves onto the path towards Grenadier Pond and follows the 8k route for the remainder. Ideal for casual walkers and joggers, as well as serious competitors. ChampionChip timing for all.
8k Map (740 KB)
5k Map (690 KB)
8k: maximum 2400 participants
5k: maximum 2000 participants
Kids Run: maximum 200 participants
Harry's Spring Run-off is a beautiful run through High Park, however the narrow roads and pathways make the course suitable for runners and walkers only. For the safety of all participants, baby backpacks, skateboards, roller blades, animals and unauthorized bicycles & wheeled devices are not permitted in the race.
Nordic Pole participants are welcome; please click here for more info.
Baby Strollers are welcome in the 5k event ONLY; please click here for more info.
If you are visually impaired and would like to be matched with a guide runner, please contact Achilles Canada at www.achillescanada.ca.
8k — time limit to complete the course is 1 hour 15 minutes
5k — time limit to complete the course is 1 hour 15 minutes
Kids Run (ages 5-13)
Returning this year is the Kids Run (800m) at Harry's Spring Run-Off, for ages 5 to 13.
- Start time: 11:45am
- Cost: $15 (includes kid's bib, parent's bib, kid's shirt & finisher ribbon) for all on line entries or $20 (includes kid's bib, parent's bib, kid's shirt & finisher ribbon) for all in store entries made during Packet Pick Up
Start line is the same as the 5k start on West Road, finish line is at the skating rink on Colborne Lodge Drive.
Please note — all children must be picked up by an adult at the finish area, following the guidelines below:
- All children will receive 2 identical bibs.
- One bib MUST be worn by the child participating.
- The second bib MUST be worn by the adult accompanying or picking up the child at the finish area.
- These procedures are in place for the safety of your children. Please respect our event staff as they take the time to check this at the finish area.
Note: Kids Run bibs & shirts can be picked up on race day at the Packet Pickup area.
Click here for Kids Run map (640 KB)
8k & 5k finish lines are at the same location — on Colborne Lodge Drive, just south of the Bloor St park entrance.
Post-race Party Site
All runners, family and friends are welcome to get together at the post-race party site! Celebrate the run with a great "I ♥ High Park" pancake breakfast, awards ceremony as well as plenty of post-race food and drinks. Spend some time visiting the various sponsor tents on site featuring Harry Rosen, The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation, Oasis Juice and PowerBar.
We will also be accepting new or slightly used shoe donations on behalf of Community Education Services Canada (CES) for runners in Kenya who cannot afford decent training footwear. Please bring your extra shoes on race day and place them in the drop-box by the stage.
Once again, CRS will be selling off race shirts from past years' events. Get yours for $5/each or 3 for $10 (cash only).
- Pre-race: At the Party Site located next to the Black Oak Café on the west side of West Road
- On course: 8k — near the 4k & 6k marks; 5k — near the 1k & 3k marks
- Post-race: at the Finish Line and at the Party Site.
Port-o-Lets will be provided in the following locations:
- Next to the Black Oak Café on the west side of West Road
- North of the skating rink on the west side of Colborne Lodge Drive
- North of the 5k start line on the west side of West Road
To avoid lengthy lineups and stress, please give yourself ample time to use the facilities.
Members of the Canadian Ski Patrol System will be on course and will be located at the finish line medical tent to provide first responder support.
A City of Toronto EMS vehicle will be stationed at the finish line.
Entertainment & Cheering Sections
There will be 2 Entertainment Centres on course featuring the following bands:
Tribal Conquest uses the deep vibrations of the Didgeridoos with rhythmic Percussion & soulful Guitar to take you on a journey through the rich tribal groove of the Australian Outback!
Feeling "Hot…Hot…Hot" …enjoy the hottest steel band north of the Caribbean… the York Lions Steel Band. A chartiable organization, the youth band has travelled all over the world performing at various venues, festivals & events. Check out their website at www.yorklionssteelband.com.
"I ♥ High Park" Pancake Breakfast
Councillor Sarah Doucette flipping and serving pancakes at last year's Harry's Spring Run-Off
Enjoy a delicious post-run "I ♥ High Park" pancake breakfast — with Councillor Sarah Doucette doing the flipping! — compliments of the Grenadier Café. Pancake tickets are $3.00 each with all proceeds going to the High Park Nature Centre: www.highparknaturecentre.com.
Tickets can be purchased on-line or on race day at the "I ♥ High Park" pancake breakfast tent. Pancakes will be served in the party site area from 10:45am to 12:30pm.