Run Information 2016
- Run Day Schedule 2016
- Race Kit Pickup
- Getting There & Parking
- Baggage Check
- Start Line
- Course Descriptions & Maps
- Course Restrictions
- Children's Run
- Finish Line
- Post-race Party Site
- "I ♥ High Park" Pancake Breakfast
- Charity Info
- Water Stations
- Medical Information
- Entertainment & Cheering Sections
- Tips on how to run the Spring Run-Off 8k
- Environmental Responsibility
Run Day Schedule 2016 (subject to change)
|8:30am||Baggage Check opens|
|8:30–9:45am||8k Packet Pickup and Bib Pickup|
|9:30am–12:30pm||"I ♥ High Park" Pancake Breakfast|
|10:00am||Race Roster Spring Run-Off 8k start|
|10:05–11:00am||5k Packet Pickup and Bib Pickup|
|10:40am||8k Awards Ceremony|
|11:15am||Race Roster Spring Run-Off 5k run/walk start|
|11:45am||Children's Run 800m|
|11:50am||Kill the Hill, 5k Awards and Fundraising Ceremony|
Race Kit Pickup
Swansea Town Hall Community Centre, Council Chambers Room (2nd Floor)
Hours of Operation
- Thursday, April 7 from 12:00pm–8:00pm
- Friday, April 8 from 11:00am–7:00pm
IMPORTANT! BIB NUMBER and CORRAL COLOUR will be provided to you in our last minute information e-mail on Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 12pm EST. Please bring a printout of your last minute information e-mail with your bib number OR original registration email confirmation AND/OR a piece of photo ID to packet pickup.
A friend or family member can pick up your packet provided they:
- know your bib number and have a letter or e-mail giving them permission to pick-up your race kit OR
- have your confirmation email
Bib numbers will be posted on the website on Tuesday, April 5, 2016.
Click here for more information on how to donate your new or slightly used shoes
Directions and Parking
By TTC Subway (7 minute walk from either the Jane or Runnymede stations):
If coming from the west, get off at Jane subway station, exit the station at Armadale Avenue and walk east along Bloor Street for 2 blocks to Windermere Avenue. Turn right and walk 3 blocks south to Deforest Road. Turn left and Swansea Town Hall is your first right at Lavinia Avenue beside the Fire Hall.
If coming from the east, get off at the Runningmede subway station. Either walk south down Runnymede Road for 1 block to Deforest Road or take Swansea route 77 bus south 2 stops to Deforest Road. Turn right and walk west 3 blocks to Lavinia Avenue and we are right beside and south of the Fire Hall.
By TTC Streetcar: from the Queen Street streetcar route 501 exit at Windermere Avenue. On the north side of Queensway board the Swansea route 77 bus going west. When on Morningside Avenue exit at Lavinia Avenue. Cross at the intersection and walk north on Lavinia Avenue and Swansea Town Hall is at the top of the street.
By Car from the Lakeshore: exit the Gardiner Expressway at South Kingsway, drive north to Morningside Avenue and turn right. Turn left at Lavinia Avenue and Swansea Town Hall is at the top of the street.
Limited parking is available at the rear of the Town Hall (Visitor spaces only). Access is through the laneway off Deforest Road beside the Fire Hall. Street parking is available. Also municipal parking lots are available just north of Bloor Street. When you are parking in the neighbourhood, check the signs to ensure you are abiding by any parking restrictions and do not block anyone's residential driveway.
BibTag Instructions — PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
Your timing chip or "bibTag" is placed on the back of your race bib. It must be correctly worn for your race time to be accurately captured.
- Do not remove the "bibTag" or foam spacer from your bib.
- Do not fold your bib or excessively bend or twist the "bibTag".
- Wear your bib on your chest/abdomen. Do not wear on your back, side, leg or arm.
Getting There & Parking
Please note that parking is NOT available within High Park on race day and the park will be closed to vehicles from 5:30am–2:00pm.
Line 2 will be closed on April 9th between Christie and Jane Stations in both directions. Shuttle buses will operate between Bathurst and Jane stations.
CRS and the TTC will be working together on race day to expedite service from Bathurst Station to High Park. Express shuttle buses will run from Bathurst to High Park station and there will be increased shuttle service at other stations during peak times.
Alternately, you can take the 506 Carlton streetcar to High Park.
These service changes may add an additional 10-15 minutes to your travel time, so please plan accordingly.
There is NO PARKING in High Park on race day.
LIMITED parking is available on side streets outside the park and will be enforced on race day — be sure to obey all parking signs.
For a list of Green P parking lots in the area, visit http://parking.greenp.com.
Baggage Check at the Race Roster Spring Run-Off
We have changed the procedures for baggage check this year to make things more organized and speedy for our participants!
Location of Baggage Check on race day:
- 8k Baggage will be divided into 4 – 10x20 sections just south of the Black Oak Café on West Rd
- 5k Baggage will be divided into 3 – 10x20 sections just south of the Black Oak Café on West Rd
RACE ROSTER SPRING RUN-OFF BAGGAGE CHECK RULES:
You MUST use your kit bag as your Baggage Bag! ABSOLUTELY NO other bags will be accepted.
- If you pickup your packet on race day, you will need to transfer your items into your newly acquired kit bag (we recommend that anyone planning on checking a bag on race day pick up their race packet prior to race day to avoid delays).
- You will receive a Baggage Sticker when you pick up your packet. You will need to write your number on your sticker and affix the sticker to your bag in the box marked “AFFIX BAGGAGE STICKER HERE” on your bag:
- We strongly recommend that you leave your valuables at home! The Race Roster Spring Run-Off is not responsible for lost or stolen property, including any and all property checked at the baggage check-in.
- Donate what you can to the Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation! Volunteers from PMCF will be at baggage check with donation bins to collect any donations you would like and contribute to the ultimate goal of Conquering Cancer in Our Lifetime!
8k Start line location — On Colborne Lodge Drive, just north of the tennis courts and swimming pools
5k Start line location — On West Road, north of the Grenadier Restaurant. 5k participants, please stay off the course/road while the 8k race is underway. The course marshals will inform you when it is time to enter the start corrals.
8k and 5k participants will be organized in coloured corrals at the start line based on expected finishing time.
Elite Athletes: Will start at the front of the corrals, as Open & Masters prizing will be awarded based on the official gun time. The official times will be recorded from the start of the race, indicated by the air horn, to the point where the participant crosses the finish line. Elite athlete information can be found here.
Competitive Age Category Runners: Age category prizing will be awarded based on chip time, the time from when the participant crosses the start line to the point where the participant crosses the finish line.
8k Corral Times
5k Corral Times
|< 39 minutes||< 28 minutes|
|40-44 minutes||29-34 minutes|
|45-49 minutes||35-44 minutes|
|50-59 minutes||45-60 minutes|
|+1:00 hour||+1:01 hour|
On race morning you will look for the flag with the colour that corresponds to the stripe on your bib.
Course Descriptions & Maps
Course certified accurate by Athletics Canada for the IAAF. ON-2016-002-DRY (8k) ON-2016-001-DRY (5k)
8k Course (10:00am)
An 8k loop over the scenic, traffic-free, paved roads of High Park. Starts on Colborne Lodge Drive, between the Schoolhouse and the Grenadier Café.
5k Course (11:15am—Walk or Run)
Starts on West Road, curves around Grenadier Café, north on Colborne Lodge Dr., west on West road, moves onto the path towards Grenadier Pond and follows the 8k route for the remainder. Ideal for casual walkers and joggers, as well as serious competitors. ChampionChip timing for all.
8k Map (950 KB)
5k Map (890 KB)
8k: maximum 2600 participants
5k: maximum 2000 participants
Children's Run: maximum 200 participants
The Race Roster Spring Run-off is a beautiful run through High Park, however the narrow roads and pathways make the course suitable for runners and walkers only. For the safety of all participants, baby backpacks, skateboards, roller blades, Kangoo Jump shoes, animals and unauthorized bicycles & wheeled devices are not permitted in the race.
Nordic Pole participants are welcome; please click here for more info.
Baby Strollers are welcome in the 5k event ONLY; please click here for more info.
If you are visually impaired and would like to be matched with a guide runner, please contact Achilles Canada at www.achillescanada.ca.
8k — time limit to complete the course is 1 hour 15 minutes
5k — time limit to complete the course is 1 hour 15 minutes
Children's Run (ages 2–13)
Returning this year is the Children's Run (800m) at Race Roster Spring Run-Off, for ages 2 to 13.
- Start time: 11:45am
- Cost: $20 (includes kid's bib, parent's bib, kid's shirt & finisher medal) for all online entries or $25 (includes kid's bib, parent's bib, kid's shirt & finisher medal) for all in store entries made during Packet Pick Up
- All Kids Run participants will receive a Finisher's medal upon completion of the event. This is NOT a timed event.
Start line is the same as the 5k start on West Road, finish line is at the skating rink on Colborne Lodge Drive.
Please note — all children must be picked up by an adult at the finish area, following the guidelines below:
- All children will receive 2 identical bibs.
- One bib MUST be worn by the child participating.
- The second bib MUST be worn by the adult accompanying or picking up the child at the finish area.
- These procedures are in place for the safety of your children. Please respect our event staff as they take the time to check this at the finish area.
Note: Kids Run bibs & shirts can be picked up on race day at the Packet Pickup area.
Click here for Kids Run map (820 KB)
8k & 5k finish lines are at the same location — on Colborne Lodge Drive, just south of the Bloor St park entrance.
Post-race Party Site
All runners, family and friends are welcome to get together at the post-race party site! Celebrate the run with a great "I ♥ High Park" pancake breakfast, awards ceremony as well as plenty of post-race food and drinks. Spend some time visiting the various sponsor tents on site featuring The Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation, Oasis Juice and PowerBar.
Once again, CRS will be selling off race shirts from past years' events. Get yours for $5/each or 3 for $10 (cash only).
"I ♥ High Park" Pancake Breakfast
Councillor Sarah Doucette flipping and serving pancakes at last year's Spring Run-Off
Enjoy a delicious post-run "I ♥ High Park" pancake breakfast — with Councillor Sarah Doucette doing the flipping! — compliments of the Grenadier Café.
- Pre-race: At the Party Site located next to the Black Oak Café on the west side of West Road
- On course: 8k — near the 4k & 6k marks; 5k — near the 1k & 3k marks
- Post-race: at the Finish Line and at the Party Site.
Port-o-Lets will be provided in the following locations:
- Next to the Black Oak Café on the west side of West Road
- North of the skating rink on the west side of Colborne Lodge Drive
- North of the 5k start line on the west side of West Road
To avoid lengthy lineups and stress, please give yourself ample time to use the facilities.
Odyssey Medical will provide medical services on course and at the finish line medical tent.
A Toronto Paramedic Services ambulance will be stationed at the finish line.
Entertainment & Cheering Sections
Tribe Fitness #KillTheHill Ultimate Cheer Station:
We've got spirit, yeah we do! We've got spirit, how 'bout you?
Are you bringing your family and friends to cheer you on at the Race Roster Spring Run-Off? Have them get those cheer signs, noise makers, and pom poms ready!
Following the start of the race, join the Tribe Cheer Station Crew along Spring Road Hill (at the bottom of Spring Road Hill) to cheer on family, friends, local run crews, and random strangers up the most challenging hill in High Park.